Bechtle AG is a multinational technology £1.2 billion turnover company delivering technology services, hardware and software, as well as the operation and maintenance of IT infrastructure for industrial customers and public-sector clients.
Exeter College were deploying new IT equipment, including WIFI, networks, workstations, and Audio Visual equipment for conference spaces as part of new building work taking place in time for students return. Exeter College wanted a central project manager oversee and ensure delivery on time and within budget of the multiple suppliers. Networks and end user devices were being supplied by Bechtle, and the audio visual equipment by other suppliers.
The FSC building was due to be completed within 1 month of engagement to allow students and teachers to be able to complete normal teaching studies/classroom activities.
The IOT building was due to be completed within 2 months of engagement to allow students and teachers to be able to complete normal teaching studies/classroom activities.
To achieve both tight deadlines Bechtle and Speculo need to successful deliver:
- Deployment of new core network in each building (FSC/IOT)
- Deployment of audio visual smart boards and projectors/screens in each building
- New WIFI Access Points
- Image, and deliver all new workstations to desk for all classrooms/workspaces
Speculo provided project management services as an extension to the internal Exeter college team capabilities. We provided the necessary project governance model and experience of previous client deployments to assist with lessons learned in the delivery of each phase. The end-to-end project delivery of each stage was directly managed by the Speculo team, matrix managing suppliers and internal teams to deliver the required project scopes.
Project management of the key project stages to complete the IT deployment including;
- Production of a centralised PID (Project Initiation Document) pulling together each supplier scope of works
- Produced and maintained the Detailed project plan for all deliverables
- Production of Non-functional and functional requirements catalogue
- Production of a benefits realisation plan
- Project register including all issues, risks, lessons, benefits, decisions and changes
- Production of a centralised project budget tracker
- Daily/weekly checkpoints and project status reviews between all parties
The FSC building handover to the faculties was completed on time and in budget.
The IOT building handover to the faculties was completed on time and in budget.
- Exeter College business disruption was minimal due to effective planning and communication/stakeholder management
- Coaching/mentoring of internal IT team members with delivery approach
- Effective project budgeting/cost tracking throughout the process.
- Exeter College did not need to hire full-time contractors at additional costs, meaning they only paid for the project services they used and consumed.
- Benefits realisation planning and execution for each phase
- Lessons learned management
- WIFI access for all students/staff in line with College security policy
- Students and staff able to access corporate network correctly
- New corporate end user devices in place for staff/students